Origin and History
Led by the Holy Spirit, in 1954, the Evangelical Fellowship of India (EFI) placed before the Indian Christians their responsibility for proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ across the world. During this period, God was burdening the heart of His servant Theodore Williams, to see the need of sharing the message of Christ Jesus in our country India. Along with his involvement with a few men and women of God in the development of the Sunday School and Vacation Bible School, and in sharing and teaching God’s Word, he was particularly led by the Lord Jesus to visit many states in India, and learn the needs of various states where the message of Christ was not shared. This increased his burden to see Indian Christians get more and more involved in sharing the message of Christ in our country India.
In 1965, the Lord used Rev. Dr. Theodore Williams, to revive the interest in the Mission of God, that is, sharing the message of Christ – of reconciling mankind to God through Himself, by His incarnation and sacrifice. He gave His life as a ransom for the atonement of the sins of all mankind, as it is written in the Word of God – the Bible. As a result, on 15 January 1965, after much prayer, the friends along with Theodore Williams launched the Indian Evangelical Mission (IEM), as an indigenous Movement to serve the Lord Jesus in our country. IEM’s workers, financial sustenance and governance are all Indian. IEM is an arm of the Church in India, reaching out with the message of Christ to the different parts of our country India, and abroad as well.
The present General Secretary of IEM is Rev. Dr. E. D. Raja Singh Elias.
“The Good News of Jesus Christ to every person, and Worship Groups among every people group.”
IEM has a two-fold Mission objective:
- To take the message of Jesus Christ to areas where Christ has not been shared in India and abroad, to form Worship Groups to worship Christ, and be witnessing communities to their own people
- To challenge Indian Christians to realise their responsibility for sharing the message of Jesus Christ across the world, and to recognise their partnership with other Christians in the world in fulfilling this task.
Our Motto and Pillars:
The Motto of the Mission is to “Enlarge … Stretch forth … Spare not,” inspired by Isaiah 54: 2. Born of this motto stands our three pillars – VISION, FAITH, SACRIFICE. These Pillars are undergirded by the spirit of obedience in the person called by God, who perseveres to fulfill the Vision of this Mission.
Our Core Values:
IEM is a family of Mission Workers, supporters, prayer partners and believers in the areas of our work; a fellowship interdependent on each other and responsible for each other. Our fellowship is cemented by our core values – Integrity, Simplicity, Amity, Mobility, Purity, Loyalty, Equality.
The Mission Workers
They volunteer and get enlisted from different churches, states and languages of our country. The unifying factor in all of them is the call of God to serve among the different people groups of our country and abroad.
The Area Secretaries are honorary volunteers committed to serve the Lord Jesus with a clear assurance of salvation, who have a good testimony and a right standing in their churches, who are faithful supporters of IEM, and who are willing to be IEM representatives in their own areas.
Supporters and Believers
They are spread out in all the States and Union Territories of India. They are the people who stand with us in regular prayer and goodwill.
Friends of IEM
They are friends residing in other countries who are glad to associate themselves as Friends of IEM, to fulfill the God given Vision.
Statement of Faith
We believe in:
- The Holy Bible, which is the fully and uniquely inspired Word of God, the only infallible, sufficient and authoritative rule of faith and practice.
- One God, eternally existent in three Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His vicarious death and atonement through His shed blood, His bodily resurrection, His ascension, His mediatorial intercession, and His personal return in power and glory. He is the only Saviour of all mankind.
- The salvation of lost and sinful men through regeneration by the Holy Spirit. Salvation is by God’s grace through faith.
- The indwelling of the believer by the Holy Spirit, enabling the Christian to live a godly life.
- The resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- The spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, who comprise the Church, the Body of Christ.